Prepare To Be Lit!
As most know, Ramen is a dish that can be found all over Japan. Unlike the packages that you can get at the grocery stores in the United States – ramen in Japan is quite fresh, savory, and delicious! Before arriving in Kyoto we had heard rumors of a ramen restaurant that gave their customers a unique experience while dining. When we first arrived at Menbakaichidai, Kyoto fire ramen, we weren’t quite sure what to expect. We were asked if we wanted fire ramen, or regular ramen when we entered and of course we went with the Kyoto fire ramen!
We were seated at the counter of the cozy establishment and told to put our belongings in the baskets below our seats. Miyazawa-San and his son Shin proceeded to be absolutely perfect hosts as they joked with us and began to put on a show while preparing our food.
Some safety tips:
- If you have long hair you will be asked to pull it back in a ponytail. Menbakaichidai Kyoto Fire Ramen provided us with complimentary hair bands.
- Make sure you keep all parts of your body behind the counter as they are preparing your dish. We are playing with fire after all.
- If you’d like to record your experience at Menbakaichidai have no fear! Miyazawa-San and Shin have created the perfect way to do so and you’ll never be more thankful for a selfie-stick.
When we finally had the opportunity to eat our dish, we were completely blown away. The combination of pork, green onion, noodle, and the broth had us feeling like we had gone to ramen heaven. Needless to say, Kyoto fire ramen is unlike any other ramen shops for the experience and the taste too!
Who Wore It Better?!
Think you’d like to try Menbakaichidai, Kyoto fire ramen while in Japan? Here is some useful information:
- At this time, they do not take reservations. Be sure to show up early if you’d like to ensure you get a seat at the counter!
- Kyoto Fire Ramen is not vegetarian, vegan, or Halal friendly. However, they do offer fried chicken (pork free) and fried rice (meat free).
- Allergen Information: Egg, Wheat, Mackerel, Chicken, Pork
Hours: Lunch: 11:30am-2:15pm, Dinner: 6:00pm-11:00pm, Closed Tuesdays
Address: 757-2, Minamiiseyacho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto-Shi, Kyoto, 602-8153, Japan
If you’re looking for the perfect place to grab a bowl of ramen in Kyoto, this is your spot. Make sure to say hi to Shin for us when you go! 🙂